Memory foam mattress vs foam mattress
Which mattress should you buy – foam or memory foam?
If you’re wondering what type of mattress to purchase and have decided you would prefer foam to springs, but you’re still not sure which to buy, then hopefully this short overview will help you to decide.
There are different kinds of foam but we typically sell Memory Foam or Reflex Foam.
By far the most affordable type of foam and extremely popular, especially for online shoppers. This type of mattress is made from just foam using any variety of foam materials.
Available in various firmness ratings and depths. The parameters are endless size wise as you can pretty much cut the foam to whatever you need.
Types of Foam
Polyurethane Foam (Polyfoam) – as the name suggests this is made from polyurethane and is very popular nowadays.
Polyfoam is much more bouncy and springy than memory foam and is commonly used in as a layer in modern all-foam mattresses.
- Regular polyfoam is a standard, relatively soft foam used primarily in transition layers.
- High-density polyfoam is firmer and often used in underlying support layers, such as with a memory foam mattress which consists of both polyfoam underneath and a top layer of memory foam.
- High-resiliency polyfoam is firmer and more supportive, but significantly more expensive, so its use is less common.
Our foam mattresses come in both 6” and 8” depth in 2 different tensions soft/medium or medium/firm. You can choose whatever size you require.
Originally invented in the 1960s but now more advanced. They can be tailored to an individual’s needs and incorporate different properties, such as pressure relief, cooling and support – combine them all and you’ve got a pretty good mattress that should give you years of comfort. You can read more about memory foam here.
Memory Foam is made from similar polyurethane materials as foam mattresses above, but with added elements to increase density and viscosity.
It’s also a great pressure reliever, as it will mould to the contours of your body. The foam retains the shape of the body (indentation) for a few seconds, hence the term ‘memory’ foam.
- Standard memory foam is a soft, supportive, and affordable material.
- Open-cell memory foam is has openings in the tiny foam cells which promote better airflow. It will feel a bit softer and will keep you cooler on warmer evenings.
- Gel memory foam comprises tiny gel beads embedded into the memory foam. This also helps with cooling and airflow.
Our memory foam mattresses come in both medium and firm tensions and between 8” and 10” depths. You will have a supportive reflex foam with a thinner layer of memory foam on the top part of the mattress.
Latex is a natural rubber-like material that can be used to make a durable and bouncy foam mattress. We don’t currently sell latex mattresses, but you can get a latex topper from us.
Toppers are typically made from memory foam or latex and will also comprise both reflex and memory foam.
They’re a cheaper alternative to a new mattress and are a great option if you want to soften up a firm mattress, or improve the sleep surface on an established mattress. Our toppers come in either 2” or 3” (5-7cm) depths and can be requested in any size.